Saturday 28 April 07:00 - 29 April 22:00
Eastern Rhodope mountains
Spring fairy tale in the Rhodopes. Two days dedicated to the Thracian sanctuary near the village of Tatul, the Petrified Forest and Harman Kaya. We reach the southernmost point of Bulgaria - Veyka peak. We enjoy the green oak and beech forests and wild peonies in full bloom in May!
We meet at 7 a.m. at the Vassil Levski National Stadium and set off to the town of Kardzhali, and from there to the villages of Raven and Tatul. At Tatul, we go to the sanctuary of Orpheus, a place where offerings to ancient Thracian deities took place. We go to the village of Raven and to a rock formation, the Petrified Forest (Vkamenenata gora) nearby. We take a shortcut across the meadows to the valley of the river Sapdere. The petrified trees are located along the river. A little further down the river there is a small beautiful waterfall. As the day is long we have time to visit Harman Kaya, too. It is one of the largest rock-carved Thracian sanctuaries in the Rhodope Mountains, located in the area of the village of Bivolyane. Afterwards we go to the village of Gorno Kapinovo, where we spend the night.
Gorno Kapinovo is the starting point for the southernmost point of Bulgaria - Veyka peak. Our path crosses the protected area Gyumyurdzhinski Snezhnik. As we are to hike for 7 hours and the elevation gain is 900 m, we get up early. After delicious pancakes with homemade blueberry jam for breakfast, our goal for the day is Veyka peak (1463 m). First we follow a dirt road, then a steep path in the forest which takes us to the border, from where we hike along the ridge. We enjoy marvellous views of our southern neighbour Greece. In the distance we can see the island of Thassos and the Aegean Sea.
Elevation gain/loss - about 870 up and 870 m down. Hike: 6-7 hours.
Price per person in a group of 8 or more tourists - 109BGN
Group of 7 or less tourists - price per person 129BGN
The price covers:
- A licensed mountain guide
- Mountain insurance
- Accomodation in Gorno Kapinovo village
- Transport from/to Sofia
The price doesn't cover:
- Meals on the way or in the hotels
Reservation for participation and payment:
- To join the excursion, please fill in the Reservation Form, which you can find in the Main Menu. We will do our best to respond you at our earliest convenience!
- You can pay in cash or remit a bank transfer and we will issue to you a cash receipt or respectively an invoice according to VAT Law (art. 113 and art. 114
- In case of sudden change of the meteo conditions or other unforeseen situations, the guide may stop the group from the planned trek and to change the direction depending on the conditions. He proposes another trek, agreed with the tourists!
- In the case of dense fog or slippery terrain the guide may change the trek to ensure the health of the tourists!
- The treks are forbidden for tourists with heart diseases, problems with the legs and other dangerous contions for the mountains!
- If the group is more than 10 tourists there is a second guide, which doesn't change the price!
- mountain shoes
- backpacks (women: 40-50l; men: 60-75l)
- thermo underwear
- trekking poles
- slippers for the hotels
- sweater, fleece
- headlamp (with extra batteries)
- tourist knife
- sun glasses with UV protection
- sunscreen 50+
- bathing clothes
- others - personal stuff, a camera is not a bad idea :)
- personal documents - ID card